Whether you’ve been presenting baby storytimes for fifteen years or fifteen minutes, you probably already know that the first five years of life are key for brain development and early literacy. Many public libraries have instituted baby and toddler programs, but finding exciting materials for baby storytime that go beyond nursery rhymes can be a challenge. Baby Storytime Magic is a treasure trove of new and exciting ideas for programs, all of which revolve around themes from a baby’s world. Inside this resource you’ll find
- Fingerplays, bounces, flannelboards, activities with props, songs, American Sign Language activities, and more, with items arranged by type of material
- Tips for planning storytimes, with advice on logistical issues such as age grouping, scheduling, formats, and physical setup
- Guidance on involving caregivers in baby storytimes, including suggested scripts for explaining the benefits of each activity and how to use it at home
- Age-appropriate book recommendations
- Information on the stages of early childhood development, plus an appendix of recommended additional resources
- A thematic index to find the right storytime quickly
- Links to full-sized, downloadable flannelboard patterns, craft patterns, and worksheets
Packed with ready-to-use activities, reducing prep time substantially, this book is a valuable early literacy tool for every children’s librarian.
“This will be a go-to book time and again, for ideas, for planning, and for resources for any adult working with children under age 2, and sometimes older.” – Sara Marcus, American Reference Books Annual
“Whilst there are many storytime/rhyme time book resources available on the market, what sets Baby storytime magic apart is that each suggested title is accompanied by a ‘literacy bit’ – this is a suggested script for the facilitator to use to explain to caregivers the benefits of a particular activity and how to use it at home. This provides empowerment for caregivers, as they then have tools and resources to assist their child(s) literacy development not only during the storytime/rhyme time session, but at home too…This book is a smart purchase for any public library, early education centre or professional providing activities for babies.” – Sharon Uthmann, Australian Library Journal
Baby Storytime Magic Web Extra Site: Featuring full-size flannelboard and magnetboard patterns and craft templates to go with the book Baby Storytime Magic.